But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as Eagles; they shall run and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31







Friday, November 11, 2011

CELEBRATING OUR FAMILY VETERANS...

Today we celebrated and paid tribute to the Veterans of our country.  Our local Applebees handed out free meals to any veteran today, so we rounded up some of the veterans of the family and took them out.  I know several other restaurants did this today also and I think it is such a nice gesture.  They were extremely busy and many currently serving servicemen were there in groups eating out.  How nice for them to be honored this way.  I was a teenager when the Viet Nam War was being fought and the servicemen were not treated very nice...they were even spit upon.  I find that so extremely sad and am happy to see that the climate toward them is much, much better today.
As we entered the restaurant, I was touched by this table that was set up to honor those unable to be present today....the POWs and MIAs.  It touched me that they were being remembered too.


Here are the veterans we were honoring tonight in our family.
My nephew, Denny ~ my brother-in-law, Denver ~ and my brother, Randy

Some of the rest of the family who joined us at Applebees...trying to decide what to order.

My Sister-in-law, Tina (married to Randy)
My Sister, Sheila (married to Denver)

And.....ME!  LOL!
Yep, that's my favorite sweater!  You see it on me in so many pics because it goes everywhere with me....you just never know when a place will be cold, so it's my constant companion!  :=)
I asked Sheila to take my picture so I could show you how much my hair has grown since the last time.  It doesn't appear that I'm going to get any curls...darn...lol!  It's actually at the "bad stage" right now where it is starting to look unruly, like a boy who needs a haircut.  It just kind of lays whichever way it wants and I have a cowlick in the back that I can't really do anything with.  I just pretend it's not there, since I can't see it...LOL!  Tonight I put some gel in the top of it and spiked it up.  It's growing, but this is almost five months worth of growth, as my last chemo was June 22.  Sure doesn't seem to be growing very fast!  Oh well, it's sure easy to take care of!  At least now I think it just looks like I chose to cut my hair this way....rather than give me that "cancer patient look", know what I mean?  I'll let it continue to grow, but I've really gotten used to it really short like this, so don't be surprised if I decide to purposely get it cut this way down the road!  :=)

And I want to pay tribute today to my dad, who served during WWII.  We lost daddy to lung cancer 10 years ago and I miss him every day.  He was very proud of his service to our country.

Until next time, celebrate and thank the servicemen/women or veterans in your family or circle of friends.  We have a lot to be thankful for in our great country and we owe a lot of gratitude to those who keep us safe.  I say thank you to all servicemen/women or veterans out there!  So, if you are reading this and are married to one of them...please give them a hug and tell them thanks for me!
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment