But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as Eagles; they shall run and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31







Thursday, March 8, 2012

JUST SOME RAMBLINGS.....

Yes, I'm in there somewhere!

Ok, today is just me and my ramblings....no major updates.  My first subject....The Susan G Komen Foundation.  I am not jumping on the "hate" Komen bandwagon.  I am not jumping on the politics of it all.  I am approached a lot as a breast cancer survivor on this subject, and although I've tried to stay away from it and all of the controversy on my blog, I can't stay silent any longer.  I want to set the record straight.  I am a cancer survivor....not even at my first year out yet (almost).  I don't need all of this hate and negativity in my life.  I don't need to be told that there is a cure but the Phamaceuticals don't make enough money on a cure....they make money on treatments.  How is that helpful to tell me there is a cure but I can't have it?  All of the negativity of those who want to bring down the Komen Foundation is just not helpful to me and has no place in my life right now.  My goal is to stay positive, as a positive attitude has been the most helpful to me personally.  I am not a "pollyanna", but I just don't find all of this fighting and hating on Komen helpful to me at all and I certainly don't find it helpful for people to tell me that cancer has a cure. And I don't need any links to "prove it".   Imagine any disease you might have and people saying there is a cure but your disease makes too much money, so it's not being used.  Imagine being called brainwashed.  Well, wow, that feels good, doesn't it?  Could this be true?  Maybe.  But even it it's true...how does it help me?  Can I buy this cure?  If not, then I'm going to file this useless information in my "the stupid things people say to you when you have cancer" file.  I am not going to join the fight against the Komen Foundation.  The only time I've even been involved with the Komen Foundation was last October when I attended my first Komen Race for the Cure with my sister in Evansville.  I did not raise a bunch of money for it.  I only paid my registration and went.  I was just out of chemo and my masectomy and was going through my reconstruction and I found it to be a very positive experience for me.  I met many wonderful people who were so encouraging to me.  It turned out to also be a special time for me and my sister.  I am already making plans to be at the Indianapolis Race for the Cure this April with one of my support groups, Merry Crazies and my cancer sisters, Carin and Amy.  It will be another positive experience.  It is what you make it.  And, personally, I do believe that the research that has been done has helped me survive this diagnosis.  I may not be cured....but I am surviving and as one cancer survior put it, I'm LIVING OUT LOUD.  I like that!  :=)
Ok, enough said...off my soapbox now!  :=)

Spinal Injection
Well, I went and got my first spinal injection Tuesday (two days ago).  I actually ended up getting two shots.  It was easy peasy...they put me to sleep...lol!  Hey, if they put me to sleep they can do anything!  It was a drug that I woke up fast from.  My friend, Linda, took me since they said I needed to bring a driver.  I was dizzy and woozie at first but it wore off pretty fast and we even were able to go to lunch and stop by Sam's Wholesale before heading back home.  I've never ever had anything done to my spine, so it sounded icky to me.  But, it wasn't bad.  The results:  I think it's working.  I won't say my pain is totally gone 100% of the time, but it's better and it's only been two days.  My leg doesn't hurt like it did and I feel more mobile.  I was mobile before, but hurt with every step I took.  I go back to the doctor in a month to report back on how it's working, so we'll see how it goes!
Relay for Life

A Thirty One bag I had personalized to use for my Relay for Life "stuff"!
Now that I'm feeling good with my treatments behind me....I am ready to pitch in and give my help for the cause.  So, I'm pleased to have a team this year for Relay for Life.  We will walk on May 19 at the Jennings County Relay for Life (a neighboring county).  I walked there last year and the people there were so wonderful to me and my sister, Sheila.  They invited us back this year to be their guest speaker at their kick-off and have just "adopted" us, even though we are from Jackson County.  It doesn't really matter....all of the raised funds will go to the same place....American Cancer Society.  We are coming up with some fundraising ideas, so if you have any great, fun ideas to pass along to me, I'd love to hear them. 
We are considering doing a Pink Flamingo Flocking fundraiser.  I think it will be a lot of fun!  I would love to raise a considerable amount for our team to donate to the American Cancer Society through the Relay for Life.  If there are other "relayers" out there, I'd love to hear from you!  I'm excited about having a team this year!  With my dad dying of lung cancer, and me, my sister, and my mom having breast cancer....it is a cause near and dear to my heart.
I will be having a Thirty-One fundraiser where I will give my commission to the cause.  More on that later when I get it set up.  Now, I am not turning this blog into a fundraising site and am not going to bug my readers to give to my causes....but if you are interested in doing so, I do want to let you know about them and give you the opportunity.  It is totally your choice.  It's what is going on in my life and it would seem strange to leave it out of my writings.

SOUTHERN INDIANA TORNADOES

Pretty scary to think of that coming toward you!
Speaking of fundraisers, I have one going on right now on my Thirty One website.  If you are looking for a way to help the people in Indiana that have suffered from the March tornadoes, you can make a purchase on my website and I will donate 100% of my commission from your purchase to the tornado victims.  I don't have much money to give myself, but I do have a way of raising some, so this is just my effort to help my neighbors who have been so devastated in these horrific storms.  Just go to my website at www.mythirtyone.com/bags4you and go to the tab "Place an order" at the top and look for the "Tornado Relief Party" and place your order under that.  You can have it shipped directly to you and when my commissions from this party come in, I will be donating it to the victims.  Thank you if you are able to help.
The school!  They let school out early because of the weather outlook and that decision saved lives!
The worse tornado hit just 45 minutes south of me.  I was substitute teaching that day and we had bad weather heading our way right at the time for school to let out.  So we kept the children over for a half hour to wait for it to pass.  By the time I got home, I got a phone call from a friend in Illinois asking if I was ok.  She had seen that a tornado had hit in my area....I didn't even know yet myself and immediately turned on the tv!  It's always such a good feeling to know others around the country care enough to call and check on you. 
The town south of us..Henryville, IN....is just a small community and they are just devastated.  The stories are heartbreaking and there are inspirational stories coming out, too, like the woman who lost both of her legs saving her children.  She's been on all of the national news stations, so no matter where you live, you may have caught her interview from the hospital on tv.  What an inspiration!  She has such a positive attitude about it all....a young woman with her legs amputated and saying she will walk in 3 months, after the doctors told her she could be walking in 4 months!  I am in awe of her!  And you know what?  I believe she will be walking in 3 months....she has the right attitude to accomplish just that!
These are just a few of the pictures to show the devastation.  There was also loss of life, including a family of 5.  My heart just breaks over that story.  We all held out such hope for a baby that was found in a field clinging to life, but, like the other 4 members of her family that were killed in the tornado, she also lost her life after a few days in the hospital.  We all prayed for that little baby and we all grieved upon her passing.  

There were several other communities in Indiana hit with a tornado that same day as Henryville.....Marysville, Holton, Pekin, Chelsea....all in my area of Indiana.  There were also some tornadoes that hit Kentucky and a few other states.  It was a devastating day for many and I hope to help ease at least some of their pain with a financial donation, as well as volunteering some time for whatever they need.  It will take a long time for them to recover from this.  And, don't forget prayers.....prayers are always needed.

No news in the cancer area to report on.  I am trying to start up a breast cancer support group and we will be meeting for the first time tonight.  So, if you know anyone in my area who may be interested, please let them know!  I will be going for my check-up with my oncologist this month and then next month I will be getting my areola tattooed.  I am also planning to get my first pretty tattoo on April 7, my one year cancerversary!  :=)

Until next time...hug your loved ones and appreciate life.  We never know how our lives can change in the blink of an eye!  Give thanks for everything!
Cindy 

No comments:

Post a Comment