But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as Eagles; they shall run and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31







Monday, September 26, 2011

SUSAN G KOMEN RACE FOR THE CURE IN EVANSVILLE, INDIANA

Pam and I got up bright and early on Saturday morning to go to our first Komen Race for the Cure.  Actually, I don't think it was so bright since it was around 5 AM when we got up!  Now anyone who knows me, knows I'm so NOT a morning person, so this was quite a feat for me! 

Now, get the Rockey theme song in your head and picture me getting ready so early in the morning!  I snapped this pic in the bedroom as I was dressing and keep in mind that Evansville is an hour behind us....so, it was actually 5:25 am!  Yawn....sure glad I went to bed early!

We headed downtown and found the Old National Bank parkng garage where they had special Survivor parking and then made our way into the bank.  Right off the bat Pam saw women she knew.  Of course I didn't know anyone, but it doesn't take me long to find new friends in the "sea of pink"!  We all connect as we understand what each of us are going through and we find encouragement from each other.

One of the first people we saw that morning was Pam's friend, Kathy, who was just diagnosed recently and has just finished up 4 rounds of chemo and is preparing for surgery.  I had actually "met" Kathy on the phone when Pam connected us and on the internet, but not in person.  I knew she was going to be at the race, along with thousands of others, and I was sooooo hoping to meet her in person.  God knows the desires of our heart.....I met her right off the bat, plus stood with her during the opening ceremonies (unplanned...He must have put us together!)

Next I met Donna, another friend of Pam's.  Pam, correct me if I get any names wrong.....I'm usually so bad with names and this is all from memory.  Also, if my memory serves me correct, I believe she said she was an 18 year survivor.  Yay Donna!!! 

As I entered the bank, some young ladies handed me a pretty beaded bracelet from a Sorority.  There were free handouts everywhere....even Hoosier Lottery tickets (I won $15!!!  LOL).   Anyway, later I saw this table of young women actually making the bracelets and asked if I could snap their pic.  It takes a lot of volunteers to make things happen and I thank each and every one of them! 

Pam and I walked down one street that was booth after booth of "giveaways" and that was cool!  Everyone likes freebies!  :=)  We got all kind of goodies!

And these freebies were particulary yummy!  I'm not a big cookie person, but I must say these cookies were delish!  They had an area set up for what was called Palooza and it was for survivors and 1 guest.  That's where we found these cookies, a scarf hand out, and drinks and fruit.

SURVIVOR WALK

I gave Pam my camera and went and lined up for the Survivor Walk.  I hoped she'd snap pics of anything happening and she did a great job!  It was such a rainy morning and umbrellas were everywhere, but they asked us to put the umbrellas down when we heard the music begin because they spooked the horses.  Wow, we get horses!!!  I had no idea!  And I was so glad Pam was able to snap a pic of them as they came down the chute to lead the parade of survivors.  

Angie, if you're reading this, I know you will love this pic! 

Now, silly me.   I lined up with the spectators on the other side of the rope THINKING I was in the survivor line ready to walk and I saw this first group of survivors coming down the way after the horses and they were carrying a sign that said "Less than 1 year".  I'm like...."uh, I think I should be with them-not here!"  And I immediately went under the rope and joined them.  LOL!  Do you see me?  Hey, it was my first Komen Race....I'll be smarter next year!  :=)

As we reached the stage, we made our way up some very wide tiered steps, which put us in the back row of the survivors.  What I didn't realize is that when we turned around to watch the ceremonies on stage that we were actually going to be in the front row for all of the activities.  How cool....Pam was able to get great pictures of us since we were in the front row!  And look who ended up right by me in that front row....Karen who I had just met earlier!  Pam got some great shots of us together during this time of honoring survivors!

This lady was awesome!  She and another woman sang and they both were very, very good!  I loved the songs....I Feel Like A Woman, Fight Like A Girl, I'm Going to Love You Through It, We Are Family, Amazing Grace....and others that were so inspirational!  We all danced and sang along being in the front row, we even had the microphone put to our face to sing ito it.  LOL!   Do you see me in this picture?  I couldn't spot myself at first because I didn't realize I had that much hair on the back of my head.  LOL!

Pam said I was singing here.  I love to sing but can't...LOL...and I always figured it was the voice that scared people.  But, now I think it's the singing face that scares them more!  Of course cute little Karen just gives off a sweet smile to make me look even worse.  LOL!

Amazing grace....what more can I say?

We have a lot to clap about....we're surviving cancer!  I chatted with the gal next to me and she was Teresa from Tennesee......

There's my singing face again!  LOL!  Hey, I was having a good time and you've gotta be able to laugh at yourself...right? 

Pam cracks me up!  She was at the side of us at first, so I had to keep looking over there for her to get a shot of me....instead of the back of my head.  Then she found a spot to stand so she was kind of behind the stage looking straight on at us...perfect!

Well, it was perfect until these guys stood right in front of her.  LOL!  They were waiting to go on stage and just as we were smiling for a pic and Pam was all ready to take it.....they lined up right in front of Pam.  Me and Kathy were cracking up and then saw Pam actually tell them to move because she was taking a pic.  LOL...I was cracking up when I saw this big tough guy actually squat down so she could take the pic.  That's my sister....nothing shy about her.  LOL!

All 3 of us....Kathy, me, and Teresa.  I may never see or hear from Teresa again, but I will be praying for her.  And who knows.....God works in amazing ways!  I do believe I'll see Kathy again and I do have her email and phone #, so plan to keep in touch and updated on how she is doing.  My life has been enriched by the people I have met on this journey.

That pretty well wrapped up the ceremonies.  They were great and very inspiring!  And it rained clear up to the Survivor Walk and ceremonies and then quit....then started up again after the ceremonies were over.  Coincidence???  I think NOT!  The rain stopped at the key moments!  Thank you Lord for the rain...and thank you Lord for the moments of no rain!  :=)  Pam liked to think of the rain as God showering us with His blessings.  I like that!  :=)

Pam and I made our way in to the bank to dry off and rest and sat down at a table with this lady and her daughter.
I hate it that I can't remember her name, but I do know she was from Kentucky and worked at Deaconess Hospital. 

FAMILY FUN 1 MILE WALK

Now, you surely didn't think Pam and I ran the 5K (3.1 miles), did you?  LOL!  I would love to do that someday, but don't know if my knees will ever let me.  But, maybe with some training on my treadmill.....  Never say never!  :=)

Pam's back....

My back.....

Now, since Pam and I were there alone, there was no one to take our picture as we walked, so we got the shot of our backs before we began and then just took shots of what we saw along the way!

Something as simple as this ribbon hanging in the tree can make you smile.  Thanks to whomever put it out there!

Same with this flag!  I'd like to have one of these, so might have to search the internet and see if I can find one.

These cute young cheerleaders were cheering for us along the way.  Loved their socks and their enthusiasm!

And then we had these Zumba dancers.  Wow, what energy!  It looked like such fun...I would love to do this someday!

~Real men wear pink!~
But this man might have gone a little overboard....LOL! 
If you dress like this and I have a camera....you gotta expect a pic!  LOL!   Hey, it's all for a good cause and I thank him for his support.  And he was a good sport to pose for me!

And there I am....I walked my mile and am heading down the survivor chute!  They announced our name as we crossed the finish line.  And they made us feel so special!


We had a great time and I felt so inspired.  Thank you Evansville, for such a great Komen Race.  You did a fantastic job and it was an awesome experience that I plan to do again next year!   The organization was fantastic and even though there were thousands there, it was spread out enough that we didn't ever feel a bit crowded.  Many thanks to the many volunteers who made this happen!   Pam and I want to make it an annual event and hopefully get Sheila to join us, as well as some other family members.  We are thinking we'll do the Spring one in Indianapolis and the Fall one in Evansville and make it a new annual tradition until the day breast cancer is whipped!

Back home at Pam's we dried out and both crashed for an afternoon nap.  LOL...hey, remember, we got up at 5 AM!!!  AND walked a mile!  Actually we walked more than that, but only a mile was "official".

I want you to meet Harley, Pam's sweet spoiled little dog.  She has pink ribbons in her hair.  You can't tell in the picture that they were pink....but they were.  She was so sweet and loved attention.  If I quit petting her, she would let me know she wanted more by lifting her paw toward me.  LOL...she is so spoiled!  I fell in love with her!  :=)

Later that day Pam had to head to work and Larry showed up to pick me up to head home.  Thanks again, Pam, for such a great time!  We'll do it again!!!

And, on the way home, Larry and I decided to stop about half way home and stay overnight at French Lick, Indiana.  We have been wanting to visit there....never been before....so this seemed to be the perfect opportunity!

Be sure to come back tomorrow and I'll tell you all about our French Lick experience!  And our gambling experience, which is sure to make you laugh.  We are so NOT gamblers!  LOL!

I'm exhausted and it will take me a few days of "downtime" to recuperate from all of this fun! 

Until next time.....go have some fun!  You can rest later....LOL!
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment