But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as Eagles; they shall run and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31







Friday, December 2, 2011

ALL IS WELL AND MY SKINNY SELF IS BACK HOME! LOL!

I am doing very well after my  surgery!  It went fast and so far I have minimal pain.  I was wheeled into the operating room at 9:44 (I heard them note the time) and my family said they were done with me at 10:30!  Less than an hour!  Then it took me maybe an hour to wake up and once I was awake, I was wide awake and energetic!  But, my fam had run off to a store somewhere, so I couldn't leave until they came back..lol...that was ok.  I left the hospital around 12:30.  I felt so good that I told Jen it was ok for her to stop at a couple of stores....I stayed in the car while she ran in quickly.  No big deal.  I felt so good I had a hard time believing I just had surgery!

I'm glad I chose to wait and do my surgery at Community South Hospital.  The nurses are awesome there!!!!  (Not saying they aren't awesome elsewhere too, but I've just really become attached to them there and wanted to finish up where I began).  First off, I was taken to my room by the absolutely sweetest nurse who told me I was skinny!!!!  lol...seriously!  How could I not fall in love with her right then and there!  She was trying to size me up for a gown and looked at me and said, "Well, you're skinny, but tall....so I'm going to give you this gown that will be too big but will be long"!  Skinny...she used the word skinny to describe me! Music to my ears!  I looked at her and told her I loved her and gave her a big hug!  lol!  Wow, from that moment I knew it was going to be a good day....a very good day!  :=)

Shortly after that, Dr. Jackson popped in to see me and he asked if I'd like for him to remove my port!  YES, YES, YES!  Dr. Venkatesh said I could get it removed and I thought Dr. Zusan had to do it, so that would have meant getting another surgery set up with her.  I was thrilled when Dr. Jackson offered to take it out.....combining it with this surgery while I was already "out"!  Dr. Jackson is an artist....he likes to draw all over you with a marker where he will make his incisions...lol!  He cut right over the same incision that was healed up from the last time...but not nearly as long this time!  He marked where he would make the incision for the port too.  When I got awake, I tried to take a "peek" (lol) and noticed that there was no incision where the port was....only the blue marker.  I thought he forgot to take it out and felt it real quickly....no, it's gone!  He saw me awake when he was walking down the hall later and popped in and asked me if I was glad to get those hard things out!  Oh yeah!  Then he explained that he didn't make an extra incision for the port....he was able to take it out through the incision he had made for the reconstruction.  Yay!  Now, as far as soreness.....that is the ONLY area that has been hurting me since I woke up.  He mentioned to my family that it would be sore where the port came out...and he's right!  Nothing compared to the masectomy though, and he made sure I have some pain pills.  I don't necessarily feel like I need them, but I'm taking them to stay ahead of any pain.  Getting those hard expanders out really is a relief...I feel more "normal"!

Dr. Jackson forgot to snap my gown back up when he was done and
I didn't realize it when I took the picture...lol!
This lovely, young, compassionate nurse got me all ready for my surgery......the leg pump thingies, my IV, blood pressure (which by the way was excellent), temp (it was good), etc.  But, more than that, she prayed with me.  In the course of getting me ready, we were talking and I told her how blessed I had been this past year, even in the "valley" and she shared a story about her grandmother who has alzheimers and we connected on a "spiritual level".  After she got me all ready for the surgery, she asked me if I'd like for her to pray with me and I instantly let her know I'd love that.  She shut the door and said the sweetest, most awesome prayer for me.  I felt such a peace!!!  She was actually the first and only nurse who had ever offered to do that with me and I was so thankful that she felt God move her to do that!   It was so special...she was so special!  I had a total peace as I was wheeled down the hall into that cold operating room!  I was so thankful that God put me in the hands of nurse Janay!

Yes, this was taken at my last surgery when I was bald....but, that is Dr. Parker!
The last words I remember were...."You'll be going to sleep now..."...and I felt my eyes slowly closing!  It's awesome how that anesthetic works!  I also had the same anethesiologist as last time (hmmmm, did I spell that right? probably not...lol)...Dr. Parker.  I told him I got up at 5:30 and was very sleepy...so it shouldn't take me long to go to sleep...lol!  I told him he was a very important man....putting me to sleep...and he reminded me that he was also very important because he was also the one to wake me up...oh yeah, that is VERY IMPORTANT...lol!

I'm doing really well.  Taking my pain pills and anti-biotics (to keep infection away) and just taking it easy for the next week.  But, I must say....THIS surgery was a "piece of cake"!  I have to stay bandaged up for 24 hours, so I haven't gotten a good look at "them" yet and must admit the curiosity is killing me...lol!  I can already tell they are perky though....lol!   I figure I can unbandage myself by 10:30 tomorrow morning and get a good look!  Dr. Jackson said I'd be pleased!  :=)   I can even shower tomorrow...yay!  Now I get to go shopping for a bra!!!!

So, all is good and I thank you for you prayers.  God has been so good to me. 

Until next time.....I wish you all a good day!  And get those mammograms scheduled...lol (yeah, I'm like a boil on the butt...lol).
Cindy



No comments:

Post a Comment